What is Foundations?
- A 5-day, entry-level course, covering the fundamentals of commercial real estate administration, management, building systems, accounting/reporting, contract management, and more.
For all experience levels, Foundations...
- Reinforces on-the-job training for junior and assistant property managers.
- Provides “feet on the ground” experience and exposure for administrative assistants and students considering a career in commercial real estate.
- Offers a great refresher for experienced professionals—fills training gaps and provides important management and operations updates.
- Supports suppliers and building engineers who benefit from understanding the basics of real estate management.
The Foundations Curriculum - What You'll Learn
- Module 1: Real Estate Administration/Instructor: Shawn W. Carrol, Director - CBRE
- Roles and responsibilities of a property manager
- Adding value to a real estate investment
Strategies for tenant satisfaction
- Contracting with vendors and suppliers/managing supplier agreements
- Property characteristics and leasing/marketing strategies
- Managing risk and understanding commercial insurance
- Module 2: The Well-Versed Real Estate Manager/Instructor: Eileen M. Carrol, Director - CBRE
- Developing effective emergency and disaster preparedness plans and programs managing tenant improvements
- Budgeting, accounting, and business plan development
- Models for recovering operating expenses
- Due diligence process for buying and selling real estate
- Understanding OSHA safety requirements
- Module 3: Building Operations I/Instructor: Corinne Nawrocki, Service Sales Representative - Stanley Elevator Co. Inc.
- How HVAC and plumbing systems work
- How electricity flows through a building and the various levels of power
- Work order systems and best practices for managing service calls
- Module 4: Building Operations II/Instructor: Mark Giampa, General Manger - Related Beal
- Types and operations of fire alarm and control systems
- Reactive vs. preventive vs. predictive maintenance of building facilities and systems
- Elevator and escalator systems and operations
- Roofing systems—built-up, modified bitumen, single-ply
- Managing solid waste and recycling
- Managing cleaning services and contracts
- Module 5: Putting It All Together/Instructor: Gerry McGonagle, Regional Manager - ATI Restoration
- Successful approaches to pest management
- Types of parking structures and parking management
- Assuring secure and safe buildings
- Understanding and managing landscaping tasks and snow removal
- Learn about BOMA and BOMA leaders
- Learning assessment group exercise
Learn more: 2023 BOMA Foundations Registration Form
BOMA Members: Log into your account to register online. | Non-Members: Fill out Registration Form and email to Heather Thifault.
Questions? Contact Heather Thifault, Education & Events Manager, at [email protected]