The Greater Boston Association of Realtors’® (GBAR) Diversity Scholarship Program was created in 2023 to provide training and financial support to members of racial minority groups who aspire to a career in real estate. By establishing this scholarship program, it is our hope to promote an inclusive environment within the local real estate industry in which the population of licensed real estate professionals mirrors the diversity of home buyers and homeowners residing in the 64 communities in the Greater Boston region served by GBAR
Each year, the association will seek to award a minimum of 10 scholarships to cover the cost of attending the real estate salesperson pre-licensing course, the registration fee to take the salesperson’s licensing exam twice (if necessary), and first-year of membership dues to join the Greater Boston, Massachusetts and National Associations of Realtors®, for those who affiliate with a Realtor® member firm of the GBAR. GBAR has partnered exclusively with the New England Real Estate Academy to provide pre-licensing course instruction to scholarship recipients, which includes 20 hours of online training via webinar and 20 hours of self-directed study, digital and audio versions of the “Principles of Real Estate Practice in Massachusetts” instruction manual, and access to a monthly study group, quizzes and a practice final exam.
Scholarship recipients will be provided three months from notification of selection to enroll in the salesperson pre-licensing course and six months from the date of enrollment to complete the course. Course fees will be paid in advance by GBAR, while the license exam fee will be reimbursed to scholarship recipients following completion of the examination, provided appropriate documentation is provided, and application for Realtor® membership with GBAR is made within 60 days of passing the licensing exam.
If you are interested in applying for a GBAR Diversity Scholarship, we recommend reviewing the eligibility and application criteria cited below prior to submitting an online application. Applicants should be aware that an interview with the scholarship selection committee is part of the application process.
The deadline to submit an application is March 1, 2024. For questions, contact GBAR at 617-423-8700 or 617-224-9303.
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria:
Applicants must be:
- At least 18 years of age;
- A legal U.S. resident and permanent resident of Massachusetts;
- Residing in one of 64 communities in the Greater Boston Real Estate Board/GBAR jurisdiction;
- A member of a racial minority. Racial minority is defined as a person of race or national origin that is African American, Asian American/Pacific Islander, Hispanic/Latino, Middle Eastern American, Native American.
- Able to satisfy the requirements for licensure for real estate salespersons set by the Massachusetts Board of Registration of Real Estate Brokers & Salespersons;
Scholarship Application Criteria:
- Complete the required scholarship application on or before March 1st.
- Submit two personal letters of recommendation;
- Students currently enrolled in a pre-licensing course with New England Real Estate Academy are ineligible to apply;
- Individuals shall interview with the scholarship selection committee as part of the application process