GBAR Charitable Giving
2013 Housing and Homeless Assistance Grants
GBAR is currently accepting applications from members and others who wish to nominate a local housing-related non-profit organization for a monetary grant. Grants are restricted to 501 (c)(3) organizations which provide shelter, food and clothing, mortgage and/or rental assistance, home buyer counseling or other similar support to individual and households. In addition, the organizations nominated or applying for a grant must be located in or operate within the GBAR jurisdiction or an adjacent community in which a GBAR member firm is located. Grants of up to $2,500 will be awarded through the GBREB Foundation this summer. The deadline to apply is March 15, 2013. Complete an application, or contact Kate Reynolds at 617-399-7840 or email@example.com with any questions.
To view a list of the organizations that have received a grant in the past, click here.
2013 GBREB Foundation Scholarship Program
The Greater Boston Real Estate Board Scholarship has been established to provide scholarships ranging from $1,000 to $5,000 to high school seniors in the Greater Boston area. This scholarship will be guaranteed for two years, although dollar amount may vary depending upon recipient's need. Recipients must maintain residency in identified GBREB towns. Applicants will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Demonstrated academic achievement
- Leadership experience and extra-curricular involvement
- Demonstrated financial need
- Short answer and essay responses
Please help us reach as many students as possible by dropping off this application at the schools and libraries in your neighborhood.
Scholarship Application for Students | School Flyer | Support Sheet for REALTORS® | Online Application
2012 Charitable Contributions
- The Community Service Committee chose 10 local housing and homeless assistance organizations to receive grants of $2,500 each. The recipient organizations were: A Place to Turn in Natick; Community Action Agency of Somerville; Family Reach Foundation of Boston; Heading Home, Inc. in Cambridge; the Massachusetts Coalition for the Homeless based in Lynn; the Massachusetts Housing Shelter & Alliance in Boston; the Newton Partnership in Newton; “Our Place” Daycare Center for Homeless Children in Cambridge; Rebuilding Together Boston in Jamaica Plain; the Somerville Homeless Coalition; and Victory Programs, Inc. of Boston.
- The recipient of the 2012 GBAR Good Neighbor Award, Janet Porcaro, received a $2,500 grant in her name for The Newton Partnership.
- GBAR donated $10,000 to the National Association of REALTORS® Relief Foundation to support association members and other property owners who suffered damage or the loss of a home, business, or other personal property as a result of Hurricane Sandy. Funds for this donation come from the Greater Boston Real Estate Board Foundation, which is supported, in part, from voluntary contributions made by GBAR members during the annual dues billing process. The donation was disseminated via state REALTOR® associations in affected areas, and 100% of the monies donated to the REALTORS® Relief Foundation went to the victims of this disaster.
- GBAR organized the 5th annual "Furnish the Future" furniture drive benefitting the Massachusetts Coalition for the Homeless. Olympia Moving and Storage donated their time and trucks to pick up several truckloads of furniture, small appliances and household items and deliver them to the Coalition’s furniture bank, which later will be disseminated to families transitioning from homelessness to permanent housing.